I figured I would fess up today. My guilty pleasure is watching Gilmore Girls. Everyone says it's a chick show, but I really like the writing. Very witty. And Lorelei always dresses sharply, even when she's casual. No, I'm not gay. :)
Today we shall talk about "How to get recognized at resturants".
You see, today we went to my favorite middle-eastern resturant, Olive Mountain. A couple of the guys from work got together and we went. Well, as soon as we walk in, the head waiter calls out, "Hey Josh! How are you doing? Staying this time?", along with the various greetings by name from the rest of the waiters, etc, etc... Now you see, most of my co-workers have been going to this resturant for longer than I have, (in fact, they introduced me to the place), and were wondering how I could get recognized like this, since they don't get the time of day from the wait staff. So I'm letting you in on the secret, and you can try this out for yourself and see if it works.
Warning: It is assumed that you do not mind eating from the same resturants a number of times in a short period/eat unusual dishes, etc, etc...
What most people don't realize is that these people who are serving see hundreds of people every day. If you come in once a week, every week for 2 years, they still might not recognize you because
a) They don't work the same days that you come in, so they don't see you every week.
b) You don't order something unusual, or out of the ordinary
c) you go to the food chains where the server works once in a blue moon, and the turnover rate is 100% every 3 weeks.
So first, what do you need to do? What you need to do is go to the local resturants, where you know that they treat their wait staff well, so that you'll see the same wait staff each time. Don't go to a food chain like Panda Express or McD's, cause you'll never get personal service. Go to a local shop. It doesn't need to be a sit down resturant, but it should be local. I've had good luck with even grease pits, although they usually don't know me because of the 2nd point that I'm making.
Secondly, go OFTEN. But it all depends. Usually, 1-2 weeks of going there EVERY day is usually sufficient to make a permament impression on them. (mostly it will be like, "this guy/girl is a machine...coming here every day? That's unusual") I find that by the 3rd-4th day, if the wait staff works every day, that they start to recognize me, and by that time, they usually know my name, because I've called in the orders. Calling in your order can also be a good way to get your name there. The nice thing about this is that after you are sick/tired of going to the same resturant for the week or 2 weeks, you don't have to go for a month. They will still remember you because of the 1-2week stint. you'll still have to do some upkeep (i.e. go to the resturant once in a while, but that's it)
Now if you do order something out of the ordinary, (i.e. get a peanut butter & chocolate shake FROZEN, and peel the cup from the block of ice, and have it as a popsical.) then you won't have to go there for 1-2 weeks every day. they'll remember you because you're a freak. :)
You should be set! now whenever you go into the resturant, they'll know you by name, just like Cheers. :)
Subscribe to this blog
Wednesday, May 01, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment