I know it has been a couple of days since I have last blogged, but a lot of things have been happening, and I'll try to get you up to snuff on it.
First up was thursday night. I help out with the worship team at my church (Harvest Bible Chapel), and my brother was the one that was leading. A curious thing happens when you are up on stage helping to lead worship, rather than being a worshipper in the congregation. My perception on how worship went, or how "good" the worship was is way different from how other people were able to experience worship.
Of course, I was late, which got me thinking...I'm usually on time in everything else, but for some reason, my brain turns off when I get to church. I invariably get there late, and I'm not stressed about it too much. I think this has something to do with 'asian time'. Guess I can't get away from it. :)
I took a sabbath or a day of rest on saturday, and sat in starbucks for a while, reading 'Cost of Discipleship', which was a great book. But while I was there for 2 hours, there were 2 bored housewives sitting at the table next to me, talking for 2-3 hours (they were there before me) about mundane things, such as chairs vs. stools, and how chairs were hard to get out of, and stools are much nicer, etc, etc... Guh...Made me want to tell them to talk about REAL stuff, and not just the fluffy muffy stuff they were talking about. There's a place for fluff talk, but not for 2 HOURS. I actually enjoy the superficial side of a convesation, but only as a prelude to deeper more significant conversations with others. When I talk to someone, I want to understand them, get to know them, why they do the things that they do, and in turn to show them a little of what makes me tick, why I do certain things.
I know I can't do this for each and every person I come across, simply because it would be an inappropriate assumption of intimacy for some. But it doesn't stop me from trying. If it throws people for a loop, ah well.
I did talk to this girl on saturday, but I think I was trying to impress her too much. Why, I do not know, because I know that if I have to impress her with things that I have DONE, rather than with my CHARACTER, that it is an auspicious start to begin with. So why do I do these things to impress???!?!! I think I have bitten into the MTV version of what is desirable, rather than what matters (God, character).
In any case, now I have to salvage this budding friendship that I have with this girl, but I have no idea how to do it. Ugh. Why do I put forth so much effort in this? A nagging thought in the back of my mind is saying, "Why do you always go for the girls that don't 'match', when there are so many women that are right here, right now, and women of God...."
I think my family has gotten into a rhythm with sunday dinner. I'm usually still cooking by the time they arrive, they go to the living room to watch the recorded episode of simpsons. Jamie arrives late with some excuse, and Dad ends up sleeping on the couch, during dinner, and not saying much. But since this was my mom's birthday, we bought a cake. So me and Sam go into the kitchen, close the doors, and prepare the cake. We didn't have birthday candles, so we used a pillar candle I had sitting around. We had everything finally prepared, and burst into the dining room, singing 'Happy Birthday!', only to notice that my mom had gone to the restroom, and everyone else was sitting around....
She finally came down, and we had a nice little celebration.
Subscribe to this blog
Monday, April 29, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment