I'm going rock climbing today! I haven't gone in a long time, but I'm excited about it! It's a indoor gym that I got to in Naperville, called indoor summits. It's small, nice. The only deal is that it's in the middle of this industrial park. Good marketing scheme there, as no one finds it by chance..
Here's hoping that I can still hold a coke can after I'm done.
On another note, I just met a girl, Melissa who came from a small town in texas to Moody. She didn't know that Moody was downtown, so when she came, she was amazed by the huge buildings. She was also annoyed with the crazy driving habits of city drivers.
I asked her what was different about people in Chicago and people in her small town in Texas. (I can't remember the name, being the good listener that I am). She said that people here in chicago are more scheduled, and in a rush more so than her town. Not to say that her town didn't have an element of that, but that in chicago, people were less friendly, and that people had to pencil you into their planner in order for you to hang out with them, rather than just 'stopping by'.
I found this interesting, because I think chicago people think the same thing about californians. In Cali, it seems that you HAVE to specify some time slot with people to hang out with them, otherwise, they'll be busy doing their hobbies/activities that they have precisely scheduled out. It's as if the more things you have scheduled, the more important you are. Is this where we are heading towards as a society? PalmPilot-slaves? What happened to the relaxed pace of life, and the value in that?
It seems in society, that the prevailing attitude is that 'a life not lived, is not life at all', hinting that the more you do in life, the better your life is. While I agree that you shouldn't sit around and rest on your fat butt all the time, I enjoy the relaxed pace of life. I'll never be a CEO of some huge company, or the leader of the free nation, and I'm satisfied with that. I have God, my close friends, and a community that is encouraging and satisfies my needs. There will always be more driven people, people who are willing to sacrifice their personal lives, money, time, sleep, etc... to be successful in a certain position, company, or organization. I'm just not one of those. But God bless you if you are!
Subscribe to this blog
Friday, April 19, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment