I think I have talked about my cousin Dan, to whom I would consider a wise man. Every time I talk to him, he has something to say that just makes me stop and think. Sometimes uncomfortably at that.
We had a family gathering this past weekend and I was talking about how I felt God wanted me to give my STI up because I was becoming too obsessed with it. And of course, Dan says, "do you think it's possible that you can give up the STI without giving up the STI?" Hmm...I knew he was talking about the principle rather than the act, so yes, I could, but I know that I was not in a place to be able to make that change without the act of actually getting rid of the STI. But then Dan said something that I didn't know. He said that he sees this all the time, that people who are addicted give up their addiction only to become addicted to something else. Someone who quits cigarettes ends up being a glutton. Or a exercise freak. They never really break the addiction.
This gets me thinking. Am I ever going to be free of addiction? What is acceptable? Being addicted to exercise is socially acceptable, but being addicted to heroin is not. What about the Christian? The "christianese" answer is that we should only be addicted to God, but how does that work? How do I become addicted to God? There has to be a pleasurable rush of some kind when being addicted to God and I start thinking about what has taken the place of the STI? Money? I know I'm obsessed with personal finance, getting out of debt and living a simple life....maybe I'm addicted to that? Have I just exchanged one set of chains for another? It strikes home the thought that "everyone is a slave to something." Never really thought too much about it till now.
I'm buying my STI back. just kidding.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment