Friday, August 19, 2005

Let's see what you got

Some people have mentioned that I have this "lets see what you got mode" and that it may be intimidating for people. I thought I would explain it so that people knew the thought process behind it.

As far as the "evaluation mode" I never really thought of it that way, so it's interesting to hear how it comes across to others if they don't know my thought process. And with that, here's my thought process. With things that I enjoy doing, I know I enjoy them, and they bring pleasure to me, so I want others to experience the same. I assume that they would derive some enjoyment from it, regardless of how reticent they are initially to trying the new thing. And even if they don't like it, the important thing is that they try it. I will be honest. I have a hard time sympathizing with someone who isn't willing to try new things. To me, new experiences and situations are what drives me. There are limits of course, things that I deem as dangerous or that no one has tried, but I don't push people or have that "let's see what you've got" vibe unless it is something that I have already tried, or am willing to try.

I know that it takes an example to get the gist so here it goes.

Let's take for example jumping off a 20 ft rock into the water. My attitude is this. I'm willing to jump into the water. Sure I'm scared, but typically there are others who are jumping off this rock, so I know that it's not deadly. So I'll say, "Lets go jump off the rock!" If someone is hesitant, I cajole them, with the thought that, if they just tried it there is the possibility that they would like it. Even if they didn't like it, they could say they tried and it would be a new experience. Since we're honest her, I tend to have a disdain for those who are not willing to try, those who just say, "no way, that's stupid." without trying it at least once. At least with things that I am willing to do, which infers that it isn't that dangerous or harmful. If you say, "no way, juggling kitchen knives on a wet floor with plastic shoes on, that's stupid", I am inclined to agree with you.

So these are the thoughts that go through my mind when I give off the "let's see what you got" vibe. I'm intently watching as you do it, because I'm watching to see if there is an opportunity for me to help.

The other situation is something like, "let's go run a 5k". That is similar to the "jump off a rock" scenario, but is more towards pushing to the limits of your ability. I feel that if you don't push yourself, that you will never be better than you are now. We don't naturally grow better, we have to work at it. This is evidenced in our Christian lives, as we have to do things that don't come naturally to us (since we have a sinful nature). So I will throw out opportunities for people to test out their limits. I'm not seeing if they can keep up with me, I merely am watching to see whether or not they are willing to try to find the limits of what they can do. I'm convinced that people will always be surprised by what they can do, if they will only try.

The exception to this is when someone is willing to try, but doesn't give it a honest go, or complains the entire time, making up their mind before they even try an activity. Those are the people I try to stay away from, along with those who just are not willing to try. I tend to keep like company, and not trying new things, or being open to new things or challenged in new things is not the type of company that attracts me.

So does this make sense?

No comments: