Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Christ and Evangelism

My Christianity has always been focused upon what Christ means to me. It has always been about personal holiness, inner purity in thoughts, being unselfish, giving, and other acts of service. But it has never had a heart for evangelism. I don't know why, as I know it is something that all Christians should be passionate about, but for some reason personal evangelism has never been a priority for me. I've been more interested in what Christ does to me, rather than what I need to do to bring Christ to others. Does it bring me joy when someone comes to know Christ? Yes, yes, yes! Yet evangelism is not one of my gifts. This is strange since I have a heart for missions and to see people experience the heart of God and what He desires for the WORLD. It's a paradox I know.

I always feel guilty because my heart doesn't desire to evangelize to all those who are around me. Maybe that's because I don't see any success in that area. I have gone out on prayer walks to talk to those who are on the street and such, and I don't come out of it with a sense of joy/happiness. Maybe I have a glorified version of what evangelism is all about, and since what I expereience does not compare to the glorified version in my head, that this is why I don't evangelize.

No comments: