Friday, June 03, 2005

Mo Money, Mo Problems

I think the more wealth I accumulate the worse off my life is. Either i don't know how to take care of wealth that God has given me in a way that doesn't stress me out. I just had a lunch with a insurance salesman who is trying to get me to buy insurance. But really, I couldn't help but think that while some insurance is necessary given the laws in this country, that insurance is a way of telling God, "I am not trusting you and the structure you have setup in the church for the church as body to take care of it's people."

It makes me think that in our quest to be ever more independent, financially, relationally, and physically, if we are not shortchanging ourselves from the community that God has in store for us. If we are so independent that we don't need anyone, is that really a good thing? Then aren't we relying upon ourselves rather than on Christ to provide for our needs?

One wouldd think this means that we shouldn't get any insurance that we should not save and if disaster happens, then disaster happens. That is not what I am saying, because the Bible talks about saving all the time. But the bible doesn't talk about insurance. Maybe it's because it didn't exist at the time, and that we need to figure out what biblical principles say about insurnace or other things that we setup our lives for.

I'll talk about retirement next time.

No comments: