Friday, January 26, 2007

Spiritual Espionage

I'm convinced that there is more spiritual warfare that is going on than we realize. people have a idea of what spiritual warfare, envisioning things like 'This Present Darkness' or what we see in movies with Amityville or the Exorcist. But the devil is way too subtle for that. Take last night for example.

Harvest had a prayer night last night at 7pm and my small group was meeting at 8pm to go to this since one of the guys couldn't make it that early. I had every intention of going to it right at 8pm with the guys. but what did I do instead? I watched movie trailers on my computer at work, came home, ate dinner, watched the office (best show by far...dwight is my hero) and then reluctantly started to go to church. What time was this at? 8:20pm. Needless to say, I get to church and the prayer night was over and part of me was like 'woo hoo, got out of that one!' and another part of me was a little ashamed. I did see my small group guys there, so we spent the next hour praying, but my heart wasn't in the right place, so I felt like I was going through the motions.

This morning I woke up and started to think about why this was? Granted, I haven't been reading the bible lately because I have lapsed into watching TV again and going to sleep late, but I thought, maybe last night was spiritual warfare. Hrm. No, spiritual warfare is the wrong word. It connotates a open battlefield where it is easy to see where your enemies are at, who to aim for and where to fight. No, I think it's more like spiritual espionage. the secret influences that you don't notice and while you are in 'warfare', it's a silent war, waged upon our minds in so subtle way that we do not notice.

And what are our weapons? Prayer. Truth. Hmmm...no reading the Word, and not a lot of prayer...looks like i'm pretty helpless right now...gotta get girded up to fight the spiritual battle...


In america, to think that 'demons' and the 'devil' can influence us is a foreign concept, and even more so

No comments: