This Sunday I had a number of people come over who just got back from the Dominican Republic. As with any time you come back from a 3rd world country, you are struck by the standard of living that we here in America enjoy. Now I know that this feeling of "guilty wealth" has been explained countless times before...so I'm not going to re-hash it again. It was a good reminder that all the stuff that I get obsessed with is just that. Stuff. (stereo, cameras, computers, bikes, typical bachelor stuff, along with atypical bachelor stuff like french cookware, furniture, etc...)
Oh yeah, we had Ken Ham, a guest speaker come to HBC and talk about Genesis...It was a really refreshing look that is a lot more scientifically based than what I have heard before (evolution vs. creation)...He talks about the difference between evolution and speciation (a living organism transforming from one species to another.) and what the Bible says about it. He answered the question "Who was Cain's wife?" (check it out. Genesis 5:4) This really gets me motivated because I don't know enough about creation vs. evolution so I tend to "look the other way" when discussing this topic, because I'm afraid that I'll be wrong...all that I believe in would be based on a lie or not on the sure foundation that I have grown up to believe.
Here's another tidbit. I realize that I tend not to talk about deep stuff with people because I have this idea that I cannot be friends with someone that I disagree with so rather than get into a deep conversations where we will differ in a fundamental way, I would avoid subject matter like that...I thought something was wrong with me, and that I need to 'agree to disagree'...but somehow it doesn't quite gel with me. Naive? probably? a wimp? most likely. Am I alone in this?
A couple of years ago was the last real argument that I had with someone. It was in the Discover Card Cafeteria with a co-worker that I knew pretty well. We got into a argument about the boundaries of the family (i.e. would you have your parents live with you after you're married and they didn't have a place to go....or would you put your parents in a elderly home once they become...well...elderly...) It wasn't a friendly argument (i.e. let's figure this out together)... Were we still friends afterwards? yeah.. we both apologized afterwards, but I still felt uncomfortable for days afterwards because the argument was the only thing I could think of (i.e. I'd look at her and think, "She really doesn't agree with me about...") Seems I'm not much of a risk-taker in relationships, partially because deep friendships do not come easily (on the other hand, I'm an expert at superficial ones)...
Subscribe to this blog
Monday, July 29, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment