Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Information Diet

so I missed my train this morning and had to take the longer local train. It was a blessing in disguise as I had a really good QT and it had this verse about boasting about things that show my weakness. (2 Corinthians 11:30)

God started showing me that my attitude towards money started to happen at the beginning of this year, when I started reading nearly 30 personal finance blogs. All these blogs said the same thing...you need $x millions of dollars by 65 in order to retire comfortably and you need to start saving now, and save a ton of money. I then started to read these "contrarian" finance blogs that talked about how the economy is going to collapse and how things are all terrible. After reading these blogs day in and day out for a year, I start believing it and start to prepare for the apocalypse. Which will never happen. I do know that we are probably going to go into a recession, but I'm not in a situation where I cannot get out of things, and what is the worst case? I find some apartment and live there for a while. I'm not going to starve. And really, God is going to provide for me.

so I have decided to go on a information diet. I stopped subscribing to all these personal finance blogs and all the other blogs that I tried to keep track of and kept only one. I'm not going to compulsively read every single one of them in order to keep up to date on the personal finance blogs...they all say the same thing. Spend less than you earn. everything else is superfulous. And let me say that after I removed all these blogs, I feel so free. I really do need to watch what I am putting into my mind, as it affects me greatly in how I look at things in the world.

makes me wonder what else I'm feeding my brain that I really shouldn't be...TV? Books? Websites?

No comments: