Friday, February 22, 2008

Inappropriate talk

So last night, I'm at church, talking with a buddy in the cornerstone cafe after the service, and this girls walks behind me and ends up brushing her arm across my butt. Not a big deal, it gets crowded in the cafe, so it's to be expected. and if I left it at that, I'm sure it wouldn't have been. But I didn't. Here is a except from that conversation...

"Did you just touch my butt? Man, the nerve!"

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to get by..."

"I don't mind, I've been working out so go ahead."

I have no idea why I said that. Maybe it's because it's fun to me to stoke the fire of controversy. Flirtatious talk is fun, and I really didn't have any ulterior agenda init. I realized I crossed a line. I did say, "that was inappropriate, I'm sorry, I'll leave you alone now..." and quickly moved onto another subject with my buddy.

I am still puzzled today on why I said that. I've been hanging around non-christians a good bit, and maybe that's why. It's much more freeing to be able to say these kinds of things without the spectre of someone chastising you for innocent joking. But is it really innocent? The fact that I am writing about this the next day speaks to the conviction God has given me. Next week, I'm going to apologize to her. if I can recognize her.

No comments: