Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Just Like Saul

I am like Saul. Not the Saul of the NT, but the Saul of the OT, the first king of Israel. As I have been reading about Saul in 1 Samuel, seeing his reign and the way that Saul ruled, I realize that I have many of the same habits that Saul has:

Saul:

1) Saul hides when chosen by Samuel to be king
2) Saul cowardly and passively sits encamped while the philistines were awaiting to go to war
3) Saul gets nervous and performs an unlawful sacrifice when Samuel doesn't get there
4) Saul disobeys God's commandment to spare no one and thinks he is doing God a favor by giving the best spoils to God
5) Saul makes monuments for himself
6) Saul makes rash vows that other people pay for (no eating until his enemies are dead, for no other reason than he wants that)

Me:

1) shy away from responsibility and accountability
2) I'm passive agressive and would prefer to do nothing rather than do something wrong or bold.
3) I get nervous waiting for God and do whatever I can in order to get it done.
4) I do something that deep down inside I know is wrong, but I justify it by offering up the best things to God
5) I take my pride from the things I have
6) I make these rash vows or rules that are heavy and burdensome on both me and others as a punishment on myself for some perceived bad behavior...

it's been challenging to read these past couple of chapters and exclaim, "that's me! I do that all the time!"

No comments: