I am currently "reading" Kite Runner, a novel, and in it, one of the characters says, "In afghanistan, all a man has is his reputation, without that, he is nothing". It got me thinking about how here in america reputation is important, but that other things are deemed a little more important than your reputation. In a culture that has reputation as the valuable commodity, one then needs to maintain his character and act honorably according to the cultural norms.
Am I a man of repute? I tend to think not, because I am not consistent with my dealings with women, or how I treat others or manage others. It's always been a problem for me to work on my character, especially since it is easier for me to deal with abilities and increasing my abilities/skills/certifications and rely upon those things to enhance my reputation, rather than in my behavior.
Whew, this stuff is all depressing stuff isn't it? If you've been reading with me so far, I applaud you. You've been walking the valley with me, which means youre a glutton for more...I'll have rays of sunshine soon, I am sure...
Monday, April 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment