So I planned this bachelor party, and for the entire duration of the planning phase, I'm thinking, "why am I doing this? I don't even know the guy that well. This sucks." Here's the story.
Friend of mine, (used to be my accountability partner, but that slowly fizzled) asked me to be in his wedding, as an usher. I really wasn't expecting it all that much, given that while we were accountability partners, that we weren't that close otherwise. So I was honored and all that. So far so good...Then one day he pulls me aside and says that his best man and groomsman are from indy, so they can't coordinate a bachelor party for the groom. So he asks me to do it. first I'm thinking, "Why me? Don't you have other groomsmen to put this on? I'm an usher for crying out loud."
Maybe I'm selfish but I view things in a hierarchtical way. If I am the peasant, I'm fine with that as long aseveryone knows I am the peasant and that others know what place they are in the hierarchy (and provided there is a way to move up in this hierarchy if I am in this hierarchy for a prolonged period of time.) So in this wedding party "hierarchy", the usher is pretty much the bottom of the totem pole. That I can handle. I'm not close with everyone, and I accept that. But if you're gonna make me an usher, don't give me best man responsibilities like the bachelor party! An argument was given that "he's not local, so can you do it?" heck even other weddings that I have been at where the best man was in ENGLAND, he still ended up coordinating the wedding. So the big thing? I am given peasant "pay" but prince like responsibility. What is that all about?
So here I am planning this bachelor party, trying to do the minimal amount of effort that my standard of excellence will allow me to, and feeling resentful about the whole thing. So why am I doing this again? Well, maybe this is what being Christ-like is all about...doing things you don't like for the better of the other. In either case, the party went well, and everyone had fun at the party. guess that's what happens when you're good at planning parties...
Monday, May 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment