In the last couple of months, I started wearing a watch. At first I was enamored by the mechanical watches, their intricate internals, and the craft that went into making a watch with parts that could be lost with a puff of wind. So the first watch I got was this:
nice, but any way I look at it, it's a luxury. Functionality wise, it's worse than the $5 quartz watch you get with the mcdonald's happy meal. So now it sits in my watch box, unwound, not doing anything but looking pretty.
But that's not my point.
Yesterday, I didn't wear my watch for half the day and I felt...naked...exposed...and generally incomplete. All because I didn't have my watch on. I didn't have the quiet reassurance to know what time it was exactly, that it was so convenient to look at rather than pulling out my phone to look at it. What has changed? Why am I now so dependent on the watch? Has the watch changed me to this time nazi? Suddenly I look at watches being evil, making me become more uptight about things, not being laid back, etc, etc...
The other side is that watches are a neat accessory. It's one of the few things that men can wear that won't make them look gay or effeminate. Like right now, this is the watch I wear
it's quartz. Tells the time accurately, and looks nice with a lot of things. But it still makes me uptight about being on time, and stresses me out when I'm running late. So is a watch a good thing? maybe not. Maybe I just need to wear some kind of bracelet or such. I would get the nice accessorizing, but keep the time keeping nazi-ism away from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment