I was in Target today getting another lamp for the house, when there was this girl (and I do mean girl) who looked all of 19 years old with a 1 year old kid in the cart. I noticed the lack of a wedding ring, and she seemsed a little flustered as she didn't have any cash to pay for the things she had bought. For some reason, her situation stuck out at me that here she is with a kid at 19, the whole world ahead of her and trying to raise the kid by herself, but hopefully she has her family helping her out as well. As she was getting her money together, and this situation unfolded before me, what did I do? look at the gum rack and wonder about where the KFC was at to pick up the food for my sister at lunch. Yet just this morning, I was praying to the Lord for an opportunity to show Christ's love to someone today. I am lost in my own world and I don't know how to get out. But before I could come to my senses, she ended up putting it on her credit card and walked away. I was sad that I wasn't more cognitive of opportunities that God provides, but I also realize that I shouldn't beat myself up too much as I may miss another opportunity again.
What is it like being a single parent? I see how difficult it is for my brother and sister to raise one kid with a spouse as well as grandparents helping out. But to raise a child alone? I can't even imaging the death of many of the dreams you had for yourself, giving up of yourself to another life so that that life may have a better chance than the road that is laid before her (typically her, i haven't seen a lot of single parents who are fathers). God's been giving me a heart to those who are raising children on their own, which is really new for me, because I've always stayed away from that situation, because it was abnormal in my mind...but now I realize that while being a single parent due to poor choices is not to be lauded, it also should not be shown prejudice in treating how that person is supposed to be. I remember a couple of years back I made a poor choice in talking with a single parent, and I regret it to this day. I tried to reconcile, but I was not able to get a hold of her. So it lays unresolved in the back of my head.
Tuesday, May 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment