Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Thoughts on happiness

I was just reading an article in the NY Times about how Bhutan, a country with a pitiful GDP, has instituted the GNH, the Gross National Happiness indicator. you can read about it here
(Registration Required)

It seems that the world is finding out that money is not the answer, something we as christians knew from the start. But what they are finding out is that the GDP is not a good indicator of quality of life. No duh! Just because you have more money doesn't mean that you are happier. I know this firsthand. Here I sit, making nearly $150k a year and yet I can say that I was just as satisfied making $50k, and probably a lot less stressful. I've written about this in the past, so I'm not going to go off again, but it's nice to see others seeing the same thing, and even a country like Bhutan doing something about it. Granted, it's based more on buddhism, but that does not mean that the principles that they use are wrong, as long as they don't contradict the Scriptures.

No comments: