Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Bumbling Leadership

Here I am working with the production team, and I feel like I don't know how to lead. I see true leaders and how they lead, how they instinctively know how to focus a group together, to get them on the same page, and marching in the same direction. I don't have that. Today is a good example. I had an issue with the way that the retreat was being planned, in particular with the friday night get to know you session. So I talked to the coordinator in charge of this, and mentioned my uneasyness with this. The problem was that she was going into a class in 10 min and as you may have guessed, our conversation got cut short. So now she's thinking about what I have said, but didn't get a chance to complete, and I know that when she gets done, that it's going to be a difficult call to see if I can get her to move the event to some other day in the retreat. A real leader wouldn't have started the conversation knowing that this is more than a 10 min conversation and asked her to give him a call back. But me? no, I just got to get the thing done now. It can't wait, and it can no longer be delayed.

So what do I learn from this? Patience. Things rarely need to be taken care of right this instant, no matter what the situation, yet I live my life like that, and find that what I thought needed to be taken care of now didn't have to be taken care of now, it could have waited for a day or two.

Lord, teach me patience, to not require everything now, to not require immediate action and more importantly, allow for "open loops", by putting them in your hands.

No comments: