Thursday, September 22, 2005

English Translations and Mormonism

Had a guy John Smith, a noted apologist to the Mormoan community come to moody. It was facinating how the mormon church grew 4x in the 80-90's and now has tailed off. He talked for a long long time, but it was all pretty good topics.

One of the topics that he brought up was the explosion of english translations of the bible. I didn't think about this until he brought it up. He explained that the proliferation of these english translations were because of money, not necessarily because we need them. The other side is that with all these english translations, what about translations into languages that really need the translation? Because in reality, how many of us need another english translation?

John also challenged us on reading the book of mormon, just so that we are informed about what mormonism is. I've never thought about reading it, simply because I have a problem reading the bible every day, so to read a secular book, let alone the book of mormon seems like a huge error in priorities. So hopefully I'll be able to do that in the next month or 2.

No comments: