Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Chicken Salad Movement

I believe I am starting a chicken salad movement at my work. In the cafeteria downstairs (which is subsidized and pretty cheap), I almost always get a salad, but I have trouble getting enough protein, which leaves me hungry 2 hours later. So what do I do? I now go over to the Grill section, order a Grilled Chicken Sandwich, no bun (you get funny looks from the grillers about this), go through the salad line, get my salad, pick up my chicken, cut it up and voila! I've got my nice chicken salad.

You would think that they would have something like chicken salad already, but they don't...that's par for course here.

Needless to say, my coworker who is sitting besides me sees this, thinks it's a great idea, and does it herself. Now she goes to lunch with someone else and then they want to do the same thing and soon enough, you've got a bunch of people going to the grill ordering a chicken sandwich no bun. :) I am pushing to have my name put on this particular process (Josh's chicken Salad), but I don't have high hopes for success.

Net net? It costs me about the same price, I get much more protein, and the chicken ain't half bad.

Original Salad = $4.50 (mixed greens, broccoli, tofu, eggs, red onion, mushrooms, carrots, honey mustard dressing, raisins)

New Salad = $2.20 (mixed greens, broccoli, red onion, mushrooms, carrots, honey mustard dressing, raisins)
Chicken Sandwich, no bun = $2.15
Grand Total for new chicken Salad = $4.35

Woot! (figure I have to use the word of the year here. ;) )

At some point I'm sure that I'll get sick of eating salad every weekday for lunch, but while it lasts, I think I'll be ok. it's better than the crap I've been eating lately...(white castles, mcDonalds, Pizza, etc, etc...you name it, I've eaten it.)

No comments: